Monday, August 9, 2010

Baked good-enoughs

Kids up at 5:30am. A friend came to visit late morning and they all played outside for hours and hours in the 90F heat. Tonight they have put themselves to bed without being told.

A librarian asked me the other day what proper scones are meant to taste like, figuring that with my accent I ought to know. Surprisingly I resisted telling him that I was once (just the once) a prize-winning scone baker (my finest hour: First Prize for my six cheese scones, Linton & District Gardening Club Show 2006). But his question had put me in a baking mood. My scones today were not brilliant (they certainly wouldn't have won any prizes) but at least they weren't "cakey" like the ones the librarian had recently experienced in a local cafe.

I'll give you a little longer to work on yesterday's fluffernutter sandwich challenge. I do actually know the real answer (oh, the wonders of Google), and suspect you won't be able to come with anything nearly as revolting.

3 comments:

  1. Oh you are making me hungry - what do you reckon to a fluffernutyer cheese scone combination? Yum

    ReplyDelete
  2. marshmallow and peanut butter? Personally I like marmaphil sandwiches and of course, chocogette cake courtesy of RR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here I think we'd have to call it chochini cake. Yes, marshmallow and peanut butter is the right answer. Yeah, why not chuck a cheese scone in there too? And maybe some of that marmaphil while you're at it.

    ReplyDelete