Saturday, October 24, 2009

Grave error

The Man writes...we've had nearly two inches of rain today. Respect to the four or five stall holders who turned up for the local Famers' Market and stood in heavy rain all morning with undampened spirits. When I went down there were no other discernible customers but plenty of cheerful stoicism on display along with the fudge, cheeses and leafy greens.

In the afternoon I took the ninja Boy and zombie cow-Girl to a fancy dress Halloween party. Having been misinformed, we turned up - rather unfashionably - all of an hour early, so we beat a hasty retreat to the nearest "Stewarts" where the kids warmed-up for the party candy-fest with ice-creams that were (as usual) bigger than their heads.

The party was relatively ghoul free for the time of year. However, there was a large grey tombstone in the living room which read "RIP" and below that, "Your Name Here", which seemed a bit er... near the knuckle.

I was frequently asked if we do Halloween in England. I can't really remember anymore. Do we?

5 comments:

  1. Of course! You should see the supermarket shelves groaning with all things orange and black.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maths Expert was sporting a truly enormous witches nose at last week's Halloween disco. And despite my warnings of the dangers of apple bobbing (or apple gobbing), it proved very popular.

    However, I have yet to see a fake tombstone. Don't think that would go down well amongst the god-fearing folk round here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um I didn't get round to putting my fake nose on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So they went with the apple-bobbing then? Maybe I've gone soft from being over here too long, but that sort of devil-may-care Britishness ("Swine flu be damned! Come on son, just you stick your head in that bucket of spit!") strikes me as some way beyond daft.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes and judging from all the facebook comments there are MANY children in Linton who are now ill with flu-like symptoms.

    ReplyDelete