Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Potluck

We've been up at school this evening for a potluck dinner - for the Boy's class and younger years. It was not as well attended as usual due to all the recent illness (though many kids are back at school now, so presumably most have not actually had flu). Still it was a good chance to catch up with a couple of people I haven't talked to for a while.

I was raving on to one of them about TED Talks, a favourite diversion at the moment. I can't remember if I've mentioned it before in this blog, but anyway, if you have an empty twenty minute slot in your day sometime - perhaps when you've just poured yourself a cup of coffee - you could do worse than spend the time watching a short lecture about something amazing or amusing or inspiring - sometimes all three. Have fun picking at random from this intellectually stimulating potluck spread.

Back to the school gathering. I sensed I was not alone in being wary in my food choices. With so many germs around there was a risk that anything homemade might not do a person much good. But you only had to look at the luridly colourful store-bought cookies to know that they were never going to do anyone any good. In the end I took my chances with a couple of salad items (one of which I'd prepared myself). Will I be poorly by morning- who knows? I'll just have to take potluck.

3 comments:

  1. I was wondering the same about trick or treating! Do I wash each individual sweet that the children get and then carefully disinfect their fingers or do I just wait for them to get back to school and pick up all the usual germs?

    Just how long do flu germs last for anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's bonkers isn't it. I wonder when they'll bring out the vaccination against flu-phobia?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of a certain chocolate-cake germ fest...
    Watched TED transfixed today - thanks
    Will write!
    Cheaper Tyre

    ReplyDelete