Being the moving story of a family of four (chronologically a Man, a Woman, a Girl and a Boy) adapting from life in a small English village to the strange New World of upstate New York...
Thursday, October 8, 2009
Thanks but no thanks
I've just got in from my book group meeting. I was late arriving there as I'd been at another meeting before that, so I completely missed out on discussing the book (The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein) and instead got to join in the food conversation that often follows on these occasions. We fell to talking about sweet potatoes, and it was revealed that traditionally at Thanksgiving Americans serve sweet potatoes with marshmallows. I must have looked so horrified that everyone laughed, so to be sporting I tried to come up with some equally revolting-sounding British delicacy - but couldn't think of anything. Help me out!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bovril on toast?
ReplyDeleteSteak & kidney pie?
Scotch eggs?
Spotted dick?
Mushy peas?
Black pudding?
I mean... I don't find them revolting, but some might.
And not all Americans do the marshmallow casserole. I believe it's a holdover from the 1950s. So all of our baby boomers grew up with the dish.
O/T Baby boomers are the unintended consequence of how WWII changed American culture.
But if you are serving wine with Thanksgiving dinner, there is no place for this on the table.
Deep-fried Mars Bar, anyone?
ReplyDeletePork scratchings?
ReplyDeleteTripe and onions?
Jellied eels?
Sweetbreads?
Sunny D?
Cheese strings?