I was waiting outside the local High School this afternoon. It's not a place where I usually loiter, but I was supposed to meet a young Fair Trade friend there. It was turning out time, so I was surrounded by teenagers in their prime. There's nothing like being around teenagers to make you feel really old - much worse than being with smaller kids.
I felt, like, soooooo geriatric?
I might also have felt awkward and conspicuous, but luckily being over forty years old rendered me completely invisible to them all.
As I've mentioned before in this blog, I was never really a teenager myself - too square. I tell you, turning forty was such a relief, like reaching a place that deep down I'd always known I belonged.
My High School associate never materialized (though we don't know each other well - perhaps she just didn't see me) so I waited in vain for half an hour, before finally creaking away.
No comments:
Post a Comment