Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Garden room, deceptively spacious, fully furnished

Hands up if you've ever seen a woodpecker in Britain. I bet you haven't (even if you live there). I've heard them in the woods there often enough, but the British woodpecker is (in my experience) a shy bird and rarely shows itself.

Not so the American woodpecker. They show up all over the place. There were loads of them in the garden this morning, pecking their way up and down our pine tree. Maybe the rise in temperature over the last couple of days had tempted some tasty insects out.

One small woodpecker even spent quite a long time investigating the bird box that the Boy and I made and put up over the summer - only the second bird I've ever seen go near it. The woodpecker spent a long time peeping in the entrance hole, and even popped inside for a bit. I like to think it was admiring the walls, on which (before we nailed the lid down) the Boy had drawn assorted furniture and pictures in frames for the comfort and enjoyment of prospective tenants.

5 comments:

  1. Hands up!
    They were regular visitors to our garden in Tilehurst.
    -perhaps because it was a wooded area at the top of a hill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another hands up: we saw ours on Doctor Bertram's tree, from the girls' bedroom, over the top of The Great Wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a little known fact that Dr Bertram's wall is the only man made object you can see from space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We get regular visits from Great Spotted and less frequent visits from Green Woodpeckers not far from Linton.

    The Exile's Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd better keep a better look-out next time I'm back in Linton - clearly the place is swarming with woodpeckers and I've just never noticed!

    ReplyDelete