Thursday, March 12, 2009

A houseful of super models

Around about this time last year we took my parents to the Maple Sugar Open House day at Five Rivers. Well, whaddaya know? - this year I'm learning to be a maple sugaring instructor. I did the first training today, mostly outdoors and never mind the bitter cold. The main customers are going to be young: pre-schoolers up to 2nd Graders, so the lesson is pitched accordingly with lots of hands-on activity and pretending to be trees and such.

When my 'twigs' (fingers) and 'roots' (toes) had defrosted enough I ventured out again for more skating practice, followed by a haircut. For once I got the supposedly 'chatty' member of the CheapoCuts team, so I was disappointed to find him rather silent. Then halfway through the trim he explained that for the last ten minutes he'd thought he was about to sneeze so he hadn't been able to talk.

The kids have been working on a scale model of the Boston Aquarium made out of old cereal boxes. The Boy started it a few nights ago with seal and penguin enclosures. Last night the Girl helped him add a turtle tank and this evening I think they've been developing a jellyfish feature. Even the Girl, often grudging in praise of her little brother, admits that the Boy has quite a way with box models. Our house is full of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment