Top o' the mornin' to yer, at all at all at... oh all right then, that's enough generic Oirish blarney. But you wouldn't believe how big St Patrick's Day is over here, much bigger than it's ever been in Ireland I'm willing to bet. Every other person I've seen today has been wearing emerald green. They can't all be Irish, surely?
I doubt the majority of Americans know when St George's Day is, in spite of the many English expats and people of English descent. Maybe this April 23rd I'll go to town and decorate our porch with the flag of St George, a suit of armour and a cute dragon. And I'll stick an inflatable Shakespeare on the lawn for good measure.
Or maybe you can think of something more original. How would you choose to represent olde (or newe) England through the medium of yard ornaments?
An orderly queue complaining about the weather?
ReplyDeleteI think the Man should definitely go to work in Union Jack shorts.
ReplyDeleteyou could scatter empty lager cans and take away boxes on your lawn and get the kids to spray graffiti on the fence panels.Also,why not park your car half on the footpath and half on the road,That should remind you of Newe England
ReplyDeleteAnon, rr, where is the poetry? The joy in quiet pleasures? What about thatched cottages, roses round the door, cricket gear, and old maids bicycling to church through the morning mist?
ReplyDeleteCross of St George shorts, I'm sure you meant rr.
ReplyDeleteThe man has obviously been watching his secret stash of Miss Marple videos.
ReplyDeleteYou can't beat a wishing well with garden gnomes if you ask me.
My own garden is artfully adorned with scooters, footballs and plastic spades. And if I find the cat who's been adding its own garden decorations, it'll become my latest installation.
Lion dung - isn't that what they recommend for seeing off cats? Or is that some story put about by Linton Zoo in order to make a profit on some of their waste product?
ReplyDelete