It's Groundhog Day again. Five groundhogs (Dunkirk Dave and Saskatoon Evan among them) are predicting that an early spring is on the way, but another eight (including Punxsutawney Phil himself) suggest we're in for another six weeks of winter. Looking out at the snow still sitting in great mounds everywhere, my money's with Phil. I even think he's being a bit optimistic.
The Girl has decided to build a science lab in the basement. This evening she presented the Man with a list of necessities she'd written on the bus. It includes all a young scientist could desire in the way of equipment and chemical compounds (empty yoghurt pots, safety goggles, baking soda and vinegar, of course; but also balloons, ketchup and rice krispies). 'Everything but the kitchen sink...' I remarked over dinner, but as the Man pointed out, 'sink' is in fact on the list too. Luckily there's one of them down there already.
The Boy is very eager to be his sister's assistant, but has been told he'll have to undergo an apprenticeship first.
The Man has been co-opted as the adult supervision (for experiments involving fire).
And I'm attempting to keep well out of it.
Look fwd to news of levitating house! Attic might be better site
ReplyDelete'Fire in the basement' sounds risky - but so does 'sink in the attic'!
ReplyDeleteWe've had lovely deep snow in Linton - on Monday all the schools were shut and hardly anybody went to work!
ReplyDeleteI think it's very good for a nation to have a day off now and then - I'm glad your family enjoyed it. Did you make any good snowpeople?
ReplyDeleteWe made an igloo, using small wheelbarrows as brick moulds, (without a roof), and at one point I had around aka nine children rolling snowballs from the green into our back garden to complete it. Far from it being an easy day I got worried about how responsible I needed to be about them all and whether their parents knew whether they were here! I managed NOT to volunteer hot chocolate, despite requests! The igloo is still standing.
ReplyDeleteIt is set to snow heavily again on Thursday. Will England grind to a halt again I wonder?
Oh, I should think so. Enjoy...
ReplyDelete