
The Boy has been in full creative mode today. He started by perfecting this original but precarious train layout. Then he moved on to re-enacting near-life-size scenes from the life and times of Thomas the Tank Engine.
The latter has involved most of the kitchen furniture being connected up with lengths of string, blobs of blutak and strips of sticky tape to form engine sheds, oil delivery points and who knows what else. Since the kitchen is not only the place where we cook and eat but also serves as a through-way to the sitting room, this has caused a certain amount of inconvenience for the rest of us. Plus we have all had to suffer the Boy's frustration every time a piece of string has broken loose or the sticky tape has fallen off. An artistic temperament can be difficult to live with.
The day culminated with a dress rehearsal of Thomas's Birthday Show, a theatrical extravaganza featuring musical numbers and audience participation. The plot is just as scant and only marginally shorter than the show we went to see at the Palace Theatre, but the writer/director/performer is very proud of his work. No doubt he'll be wanting to discuss film rights tomorrow.
I thought of the boy yesterday at the Mothers Union toy sale. There was a very nice glass snow storm with Thomas in the middle (courtesy of ninja). I picked it up and shook it several times, but left it in favour of a plastic Darth Vader mask. My kids have no taste.
ReplyDeleteDarn, I missed the Thomas snow storm - my Boy would have loved it. Mind you, I was in a hurry to get round before maths expert could show up to 'vet' my choices and make me put half of them back, like last year :-) But I did manage to come away with a Barbie - which of course we desperately needed, having not even a dozen of them in my house.
ReplyDeleteAm going to check the snowstorm situation tomorrow (it *might* have been sold) and collar April Fool into buying it now s/he has publically delared an interest! The/your boy would have LOVED it too! Ho hum.
ReplyDeleteEnough already with this Thomas snow dome banter! We went to our neighbour's yard sale the other day and came away triumphantly with a couple of books and a Tonka digger. The next day we noticed all the stuff still out on the drive and a big sign saying EVERYTHING FREE! Damn! Could have saved ourselves 50 cents!
ReplyDeleteI didn't make it this year but am gutted about the Darth Vader mask (now Livid, think hard as to whether you really need it...)
ReplyDeleteDo you guys just not talk to each other any more? Is all your communication routed through blog comments? Not that I'm complaining, it's fun to listen in...
ReplyDeleteWe all hang out in different places in the playground, pick up the children and run home (well I do). Snatched and blog communication is better than none! I really liked surprising an unwitting April fool with a Thomas snowstorm in the playground this morning.
ReplyDelete