As noted in previous postings, things in America tend to be big. Big, big, big. Quickly one's expectations adjust so that supersize everything begins to seem normal.
Then you go to take a bath, and all your expectations are confounded.
Please, America, what's with the tiny bathtubs?
In Japan there are tiny baths too, but they are deep and designed so that you can sit in them with your shoulders submerged. British baths, of course, are long enough for most people to lie down in.
But standard American baths are, well, they're dinky. If you sit up in them half your body gets cold. If you attempt to lie down either your knees stick out or you have to contort yourself into the shape of one of those poor tortured souls dug out of an ancient peat bog. This has been my experience, anyway, and I am a not particularly tall person.
So if there are any Americans reading I would love to hear from you. What's it all about? I simply don't believe it's a water conservation thing. Is there some rite of passage whereby people literally grow out of bath-taking and must progress to showers at the age of eight?
I'd love to know. I'd love a proper bath even more. Just once in a while. *Sigh*
No Kidding! Good observation. We just thought that bathtubs were like that because we have never known anything else. (feel free to pitty us).
ReplyDeleteAlthough my brother rented a house one time that boasted a jacuzzi tub which was like a decent sized kiddie pool.
It cost a lot to fill it up though.
There is so much in the way of comfort and convenience that America does better than anyone, maybe it was churlish of me to pick on something you guys don't seem to have figured out yet. I fear it may be an innately British thing, the need to feel slightly superior about something - anything! - even if it's just the size of a bathtub...
ReplyDeletePS If you are the John I think you are, many thanks again for yesterday's feast and fun!
ReplyDeletems meislahn taught us about bogs!
ReplyDelete