Sunday, November 18, 2007

Ice. Screams. Cones.



Dragged the kids, kicking and screamimg, over to Five Rivers where they spent a very excited hour creating a log-jam of pine cones in a little stream and we all admired the now completely frozen lake (compare with last Sunday). Even the Boy (I hate Five Rivers!) asked 'Can we come here again next week?' though he'll deny it seven days from now, I'm sure.

More fun later down at the public library (yes, it opens on Sundays). The kids made their book choices, and then we discovered the audio section. Hooray! The Girl has been listening to Famous Five cds on car journeys and nearly every bedtime since we got here ('I say, dirty litle gypsy child, you're nearly as good as a boy! Take a swig of ginger pop and then we'll have yet another generic adventure in a tunnel...'), and was ready for a change. As were we all.

She plumped for a couple of Beverly Cleary's Ramona stories. I had never come across these in England but we've read lots of them here, where they are classics - and with good reason. I'd highly recommend them for children aged between about five and nine (and their parents) - very funny books, and very perceptive. Both our kids love them and so do I.

2 comments:

  1. Ramona the Pest? One of my favourites when I was young. Even though I had absolutely no idea what kindegarten was when I first read it - thought it was a supermarket...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Ramona was my favourite too - I guess my american aunt probably introduced me. Maths expert - I have a couple of books if you want to reread them....

    ReplyDelete