Dropped the Man off at the airport again (another trip to Washington) and after a bit of shopping took a roundabout route home - in more ways than one.
For some time workmen have been adding extra road and roundabouts, or 'circles' as they call them here, on a route I often find myself on when I want to call in at my preferred supermarket. The circles have only just become fully roundable (you know what I mean) with all the new bits of road finally open to traffic, so I was quite excited to bypass part of my usual route and approach the supermarket from another direction. The only problem was there were cones everywhere preventing me from turning left, so in order actually to get into the supermarket carpark I had to go (in the wrong direction) along the stretch of road I'd bypassed, back onto one of the roundabouts, make a complete circle and return to the supermarket totally avoiding the nice new bypass.
Ah well. I daresay they'll sort it out eventually so that it is more convenient. It's also worth noting that roundabouts are unusual in America and regarded as quite daunting, so with a bit of luck all the locals will take any other route to avoid them and I'll get the road to myself in future. That really would be convenient.
By the way, I should have said 'construction workers' not 'workmen'. Quite a few of them are women. They seem to come from a female construction worker ready-mix packet though - they all have a no-nonsense look about them, wear their overalls with a certain flair, and have identical long blonde tresses flowing out from under their hard hats.
No comments:
Post a Comment