The Girl had a play-date with a classmate. He lives within 15 minutes' scootering distance of our rented house, so it made a change to go calling without needing to drive. I've been told nothing about what they got up to for three hours, but I gather they had fun.
Meanwhile the Boy and I did a bit of tidying up and supermarket shopping. Then I experimented by making warmed apple cider, which I'd been served for the first time yesterday. Apple cider is nothing like the beverage popular in the West Country (oo-ahr-oo-ahr-ay). It isn't at all alcoholic for a start, it's just thickly pressed apple juice, very cloudy. It's readily available and inexpensive round here because we are in apple-growing country. Heated in a pan with a few cloves, a stick of cinnamon and a sprinkling of nutmeg it makes a great winter drink.

The rest of the day we've just been loafing around indoors because it's cold out: reading, knitting, playing (and/or attempting to cheat at) board games, and making Thomas trains out of empty boxes - including a rather nice wheelchair-accessible Clarabel-the-coach, the Boy's own design.
My alcoholic tendancies started in my teenage years when my parents always sent me off to parties with a large bottle of cider. They had spent some time in the States, and obviously thought that "oo-ahr-oo-ahr-ay cider" sold in British off licences was the same as the non-alcoholic apple cider of America. How wrong they were.....
ReplyDeleteMust go - am off to the Dog and Duck for a pint.
Cheers!
ReplyDeleteThe Boy definitely has railway design tendencies, and a good awareness of customer needs!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the cider, sounds lovely - oo-ahr-oo-ahr-ay.
Not at all like the scrumpy we know!
Glad to hear you were cheating on my birthday...
ReplyDelete