Thursday, November 22, 2007

Fully thankful

In the interests of cultural research (and also because I'm a last minute kinda gal), last night (the eve of Thanksgiving) I went to the supermarket to see what pre-holiday shopping is like. I reckon Americans must be much better at preparing for their major feasts than Brits, because although the shop was busier than usual there wasn't that air of frenzy you get on Christmas Eve in Tesco, people all glazed-eyed and filling up their trolleys like it's their last chance to buy food for a fortnight. Maybe Americans are just more used to the idea of shops never being shut for more than 24 hours.

Apart from being an excuse to "Gobble 'til you wobble" (according to a sign I saw somewhere), Thanksgiving seems to be quite a pure and uncommercialised celebration - surprising for such a commercially driven nation. No over-the-top decorating, no institutionalised gift giving. Just families, of all and no faiths, getting together to share a meal.

We were very happy to be invited to share Thanksgiving with an American family, friends of the Exiles who were also at the party. We were made very welcome and tucked into a hearty main course followed by a slightly daunting array of pies. Then we joined in a card game called Quao (sounds like 'cow'), which was fun and silly.

As our hosts explained, it may not have been a 'typical' American Thanksgiving, it's just what they happen to do in their family. But I expect every family has its own traditions and that's the point, really. Whatever, we were thankful to be there, as we are thankful to be here in America enjoying this whole adventure.

1 comment: