Being the moving story of a family of four (chronologically a Man, a Woman, a Girl and a Boy) adapting from life in a small English village to the strange New World of upstate New York...
Sunday, August 10, 2014
Bless this house
So, yes, an enjoyable evening with friends last night. Today the kids each had people round, so they were happily occupied. Meanwhile I was invited to my Karen friends' new house blessing ceremony.
Members of the extended family and other friends from their community gathered together for some prayers and hymns and sermons. Since it was all in Karen it mostly washed over me, though I was pleased to share in such a special celebration. And it turned out I had a walk-on - or a least a sit-down - part to play, as halfway through I was invited to sit on a chair (everyone else was on the carpet) and was presented with flowers and pompom garlands and a woven shawl. I've been helping this family out for a couple of years now, including quite a lot lately through the house-buying process, and this was a formal thank you.
I was very touched, but nothing meant more than seeing the kids happily running through the bright and cheerful rooms (such a contrast with the gloomy apartment they've lived in up to now), as their parents welcomed visitors to a home of their own.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The American Dream is still possible
ReplyDeleteAnother memorable occasion
ReplyDeleteThe America Dream is still possible - but not without hard work and discipline AND federal and state support, and open-minded professionals, and help from your community. My guys were lucky because all those things came together for them.
ReplyDelete