Sunday, November 24, 2013

Sour puss


I'm not really an animal lover, as I may have mentioned before.  Don't hate 'em, just don't want to live with 'em.  Or have them giving me slobbery "kisses", or shed hairs on my trousers.

Naturally, then, whenever I visit a house with a cat in it, almost without fail the pesky creature will come and jump on my lap. It's quite provoking.

I've always supposed that cats must have a radar for people who don't like them, and that they come and sit on me just to show me how little they care.  However this evening I learned that I've been actively encouraging them all along.  Whereas dogs like you to look them in the eye, cats prefer that you avoid their gaze.  So by ignoring them, it's as if I've been telling them, "Well hi there! Let's be best buddies!"

From now on when I am introduced to a cat I shall know to give it a penetrating stare.

2 comments: