Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Fly on the classroom wall

I spent some time in the Boy's classes today, visiting school for American Education Week.  I was mostly just sitting in the back with other parents, seeing what went on.

I was impressed.  I didn't feel the kids were putting on a show, just getting on as they normally would, behaving well and working hard. They had some interesting tasks to do, including re-creating the formation of the Hawaiian Islands using toothpaste (you'll have to trust me, it made sense at the time); researching candidates to receive micro-loans through Kiva (the school received a donation of funds a couple of years ago for the 6th Graders to invest and reinvest in Kiva projects); writing enticing book reviews for a wall display.

Hard to say if the Boy was pleased to have me there (when he saw me enter the second class he said, "You again?!  When will this torture end??"  Make of that what you will). But I was pleased to be there.

Tomorrow - the Girl's turn...

1 comment: