Thursday, December 15, 2011

More furtive than festive?

Although I'm generally pretty busy with things going on here, I do still like to keep up with the hot topics of conversation back in our UK hometown.  So I check in on the forum page of linton.info from time to time (ok, daily), to find out what's goin' down on the mean streets of our favourite South Cambridgeshire village.

Reassuringly, not too terribly much it seems.  There's still occasional sniping about the infant school field being designated a village green; someone recently got very hot under the collar about the signage for this year's Guy Fawkes Night fireworks display; there's been a verbal punch-up going on for weeks about whether or not a junction out of the village onto the A1307 is badly designed or not; and there's endless comparison of the three village pubs (seems like the Wagon and Horses is currently on the ascendant, while the Dog and Duck may have lost its way...).  Well, you get the drift. 

Most of the people who comment do so anonymously.  I do actually know who a couple of them are, and can take a guess at a couple more.  But most of them I can't identify.  They may or may not be people I'd recognise if I ran into them on the High Street.  Anyway, one of them has just suggested online that they all meet up for "festive drinkies". 

It's quite a funny concept, and I'm interested to know how it all works out.  Some of the forum regulars are enthusiastic, but others are more wary - perhaps not wanting to shrug off their anonymity cloaks.  But the latest comment I've read on the thread, which picks up on an earlier comment, suggests a solution (and a potential West End-quality modern farce):
I like Numbnut's idea of loitering in order to check out the suspects before making yourself known. What if most people say they can't make it, but are actually there?
BTW, if there's anyone out there still reading this blog, do feel free to use the Albaniana comment section to organise your own seasonal get-together (and then let me know if you choose to ignore each other or not).

3 comments:

  1. I read that bizarre fireworks business on the Linton Forum - not sure I'd be rushing to festive drinkies with jdTaylor, though I am intrigued to know his (have assumed it's a man) identity.

    Which pub will they choose? I'd go for the newly re-furbed Waggon, where I spent part of my 40th birthday eating pork scratchings. I know how to have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! Albaniana VIRTUAL festive drinkies? Name the day/time and I will line up a few cocktails (and pork scratchings for Insanely Livid)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there any kind of tofu version of pork scratchings, d'you know?

    ReplyDelete