Waiting for the Girl to change after skating at the YMCA the other day I suddenly realised that everyone else sitting in the waiting area was looking at a screen. Laptop, i-Pad, i-Phone, DS... No books, no knitting, no passing the time of day with an acquaintance or stranger. Just everyone locked in and interacting with a gadget. It was...disturbing somehow.
Now obviously I'm interacting with a gadget as I write, and you are as you read this, so it's not that I'm completely averse to screens. In fact far from it. I love the fact that computers allow me to keep in touch with friends around the world, and catch up with people I'd lost touch with. Email really does make planning events and whatever very much easier and...oh, so many things are more efficient and convenient because of technology.
And yet... As much as we're gaining, I think we're also losing skills. I don't think this is an entirely good thing.
What are your thoughts?
wheels are rounder now they're no longer hand made but wheelwrights had to learn about car maintenance.
ReplyDeleteCan't stand still!
I love the internet when it works properly but sometimes it is most frustrating-trying to do things some times takes an age and its a pity that it is used by so many villans
ReplyDeletei just stopped watching the story of electronics when i read this
ReplyDeleteBy the way,what does DS stand for why is it all initials and strange names? Wii? (or is that W11?}
ReplyDelete