One very underslept Girl was returned to us this morning, so I guess that rates as a successful "no-sleepover". She didn't manage to muster any visible energy for the rest of the day. I hope she catches up with herself tonight because she has a New Year's Eve sleepover tomorrow.
We had visitors in the afternoon. Yesterday at the dentist, her son interpreting for her, my refugee friend offered to come and clean my house. When I told her no, no she didn't need to do that, she admitted that really she just wanted to come and see where I lived. Fair enough.
So this afternoon I collected her - and several other members of the family - and brought them over for a visit. It was fun, even though the dog - still on loan from next door - scared the toddler (simply by virtue of being a dog - he didn't do anything scary and he's scarcely bigger than a guinea pig). We looked through some photos and books about Burma, while the kids played with toys (including the dolls' house and the singing Christmas penguin). Then we piled back into the car and I drove them home again.
What people who have spent most of their lives in a refugee camp in Thailand make of an average American suburban home, I can't really imagine.
No comments:
Post a Comment