Monday, July 20, 2009

One small step for a Girl...

I managed to get the Girl to tidy her bedroom today, which was no mean feat. It was exciting to find out that she still has carpet in there; it'd been so long since I'd seen it that I'd forgotten.

This afternoon I set the world to rights with Exile #2 in her kitchen while our children mostly did other things elsewhere around the house - hours well spent all round, I'm sure.

Tonight I cooked a new recipe. As a Briton it's always a bit of a challenge using American cookbooks on account of all the unfamiliar-sounding equipment and ingredients: broilers and skillets; scallions, cilantro, arugula, confectioners sugar. I've been here long enough to have got the hang of most of the words, and happily my latest cookbook has lots of pictures anyway. But cooking and DIY (caulk, sheetrock) are probably the areas where Britain and America are most divided by their common language.

No prize, just glory, to the first British reader who can translate all the culinary terms.

No comments:

Post a Comment