Thursday, July 2, 2009

Cultural exchanges

What I forgot to mention about the Berkshires yesterday is that the area is the cultural hub of New England - theatres, galleries, music and dance venues at every other turn. It seems that a couple of our Exile friends made the most of one of these artistic resources last night, so hats off to them (though a ballet to the music of Radiohead sounds like an experience well beyond my pain threshold, I have to admit).

It has mostly been a rainy day here, though it dried up enough to entertain a couple of neighbours out on the deck for an hour or so this afternoon. My mum had baked scones, which we served with butter and jam, and though our guests couldn't quite bring themselves to drink their tea with milk I think they enjoyed this little 'taste of Britain'.

Tonight it has been our turn (some of us at least) to be the 'foreign guests' - at an Indian feast hosted by friends at the Hindu Temple in Albany. Meanwhile the rest of the family have been to the cinema where they've no doubt sampled plenty of traditional American popcorn.

2 comments:

  1. What a busy old time you've all been having. I'd like to visit all those places, if only they were several thousand miles closer. At the moment it's an effort to go to Saffron Walden.

    Do the Americans not do cream teas? I suppose clotted cream is out of the question, but what a slice of summer loveliness they're missing.

    Cucumber sandwich anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For those who are interested, the cinema trip was Disney/Pixar's new offering Up.

    The Boy and his buddy(who are both big fan of "Cars") both judged it "too PG" (i.e. too much stuff only interesting for adults) and in fact "the worst film I've seen in my entire life".

    ReplyDelete