It's a funny old summer we're having. It can't seem to really get going, and though it's generally warm there've been none of the sweltering temperatures we experienced last year. Not that I'm complaining, I don't much care for extreme heat and humidity, and the fact that it has rained nearly every day for the past month and a half means I don't have to fret about watering the garden plants. Instead I am fretting about Japanese beetles, which are having a bumper year and munching through my well-watered plants at quite a rate, despite the Girl's efforts to pick them off.
The Girl was at a birthday sleepover last night that was so successful it lasted until lunchtime today. For want of willing human opponents, the Boy played Albany Monopoly against Blankie and a cuddly Orca. Blankie was not without tactics, but the whale was absolutely hopeless. Of course they both lost hands (hems/flippers?) down to the Boy who ended up owning half the city.
And I've been engrossed in Anne of Green Gables most of the day - really a very lovely book, especially compared with all the written-by-numbers Animal Ark stories I've been having to read to the Boy lately.
Summer reading recommendations, anyone?
I've been a bit disappointed by the last couple of books I've read but I'm going on holiday with the Piano Teacher and The Count of Monte Cristo so I'll let you know how I get on.
ReplyDeleteHas the boy read any Hiccup the Viking (Cressida Cowell)? v funny.
If you want something a bit gritty, try "They died with their boots clean" by Gerard Kersh (based on fact).Gives you an insite to how hard some peoples life was in the forties
ReplyDelete