Thursday, June 4, 2009

Presidents and precedents

The Man took the day off work and we visited Hyde Park, home of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt. I went there with my parents last year; the Man's last visit was about twenty years ago.

There is so much to see there, and our time was frustratingly limited because we had to be back in time to meet the kids off the bus, but it was an enjoyable outing even so. I am still fascinated by the Roosevelts and the events, personal and historic, that shaped them and enabled them to achieve all they did.

We spent some time looking at an exhibit describing FDR's first 100 days in office. Banks closing, jobs and homes being lost - so many parallels with the current situation. It remains to be seen if President Obama, facing similar crises, will be remembered as favourably as his Depression-era predecessor.

1 comment:

  1. yes.he was a good president and so was his successor,Truman
    Lets hope the present one is as good I have been quite impressed up to now.

    ReplyDelete