I wandered down to a local farmers' market today, a small one that sets up in a church car-park. It mostly consists of plant stalls this time of year, but there's a guy from Saratoga who brings a particularly good salad dressing/marinade which I've used before, so that's mainly what I went for.
With an eye for a bargain, I also looked in on the church thrift shop. The Girl needs a Dutch costume for later in the week and I thought I might find something useful. A suitable blouse set me back all of 50 cents, and I bought her a brand new straw hat and a pair of shorts for a couple of dollars too - not bad for a day's shopping.
A mother and grown-up daughter were in the thrift shop, eyeing up an old carriage-sprung pram. The mother was trying to persuade her daughter that she really needed this item, even though (as the mom cheerily told me) she didn't have a baby and wasn't even pregnant. I did mention that it looked like it would be rather awkward to get in and out of a car, but lack of sense prevailed and they bought it anyway. They wheeled it away, discussing how on earth they were going to hide it from Dad - maybe fill it with plants and pretend it was a lawn ornament?
Ah, charity shops, my subject du jour. There's nothing better than a barely worn bargain!
ReplyDeleteA new series here is championing the charity shop and trying to encourage people not to donate the usual utter tat. So next time you're filling that bin bag with your old clothes, remember, it's not for rubbish!
Saffron Walden Oxfam had a pair of Jimmy Choo's in a few weeks ago - a mere £200.
What are your best (and worst) charity shop bargains?
ReplyDelete