Monday, June 1, 2009

Walkabout

The Man writes...in US English "walk" is essentially a transitive verb only. You can walk a dog, walk the mall, walk the [elevated] indoor track at the 'Y'. However, you don't walk to somewhere. It's not even possible to walk to the local YMCA without risking life and limb because of the lack of sidewalks.

You can also walk the roads around our home - a very enjoyable pastime as there are many beautiful trees, and birds and small animals to look and listen out for. However, it is clearly essential to first don day-glo lycra, baseball cap, and brilliant white trainers and make sure you march along with a definite appearance of purpose. Or take a dog with you.

I mentioned to some American friends of Albaniana that I thought people might be thinking I was a bit odd, strolling around the neighbourhood apparently just for fun. They were sympathetic and suggested a particular prop, which I was not familiar with until I saw it at the Memorial Day parade...


So what do you think? Will I seem less odd walking around like this?

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps you should get a monkey !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you seem less odd walking round the neighbourhood with a six foot clown in pyjamas? I'm not convinced. But it'll only add to your quaint English eccentricity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For avoidance of doubt, I meant the "invisible dog lead" not the clown.

    It's available from Amazon for 2 pounds 40 (or $5.80 over here).

    So go on, Livid! I dare you.

    ReplyDelete