Albany looks different at half past three in the morning. A few lights twinkle downtown, but the normally busy network of freeways is spookily dark and deserted. The odd car that passes sets you wondering, 'What can they be doing out and about at this hour? Where can they be going?'
Maybe they were wondering the same about me. Maybe you are, too. It's a sorry tale.
The Girl was so excited to have been invited to her first real sleepover party at a classmate's home. I left her enjoying dinner with about nine other giddy girls, and I gather games and crafts followed, with lights out around ten. But it all went horribly wrong in the wee small hours when she started throwing up. Poor poor Girl. She really didn't want me to come and get her, but obviously her classmate's mother did the right thing in ringing us. Hence my mercy dash across the darkened city.
All's well again now, the Girl back in fine and feisty form, though I'm a bit squinty and haggard myself. I really hope the other girls (who slept through the drama) or that kind mother (who didn't) don't come down with the same thing.
Tonight our family will all be sleeping (I hope) in our own new home. That feels good.
No comments:
Post a Comment