Friday, June 28, 2013

Pop culture

I have generally tried to avoid pre-packaged microwaveable popcorn since learning, years ago, about the toxic ingredient added to give it "that buttery taste".  But my kids do like popcorn, so for a long time I would cook it for them in a pan with oil.

Sometimes it worked, sometimes it went horribly wrong and burnt.  Always the house would end up stinking of overheated oil, even if the popcorn itself was quite tasty.  I was secretly relieved when the Boy had his braces fitted and was not allowed to eat popcorn at all for more than a year - great excuse to avoid making the stuff (even though I felt obliged to buy the occasional bag of fundraising corn from neighbourhood Boy Scouts).

But the braces came off, and the demand for popcorn resumed...  And recently, hooray!  I have discovered (thank you, Internet!) that you can make perfectly nice, non-toxic popcorn in the microwave, with a handful of corn in a paper bag.  It's as easy as anything, and the kids have taken to making it for themselves when they fancy a snack.  There's no more burnt oily smell - just a slight whiff of cinema about the house (does that smell remind anyone else of a hamster cage?).

No comments:

Post a Comment