I ended up on a bit of a wild goose chase this afternoon, hoping to help a friend get to a dental appointment but failing to find them at the meeting place we'd agreed on. I couldn't find them at their house, either...well, I'm sure it was all down to some sort of mix up.
Anyway, I found myself negotiating the network of roads that links the major arteries out of downtown Albany - quite a maze of one-way streets and streets that don't come out just where you expect them to... It's always a bit of an adventure, especially for someone as directionally challenged as me.
Yet I think I'm making some progress on acquiring the Albany equivalent of The Knowledge. There are a couple of areas near the Empire State Plaza which I do actually know pretty well now. I can more or less place myself when I come across streets named after birds, or trees, or US Presidents. And every so often I dazzle myself by correctly devising an excellent short cut.
Albany will never be my favourite place to drive, but I feel it's becoming familiar at least.
Sat Nav Resisters of the world - Unite!
ReplyDelete