The Man writes...travel teaches you valuable life lessons. The one I learnt today was "always ring ahead to check if the cable car is running".
The cable car in question on Geomjeongsan Mountain in Busan had mechanical problems, so a relaxing journey to the mountain top was replaced by a near vertical hike in the midday heat. The path was quiet and beautiful however, through pine forest, by streams, and with fine views and one or two wonderful little rock temples.
The top of the mountain was once a large fortress. Parts of the walls remain and I eventually reached the South Gate.
From here a small sign directed me to my goal: Seokbulsa Temple. Almost inevitably I soon got lost, until I met a new friend. Mr Lee, a retired engineer who has lived in Busan all his life, showed me the small unmarked side path I should have taken, and we ended up walking together for a couple of hours, communicating with the help of our smart phones.
Seokbulsa ("Stone Buddha") Temple may be hard to find, but it fully justifies the effort. A natural stone enclave with huge carvings, it is peaceful and awe-inspiring.
For a change of pace I headed down to Gwangalli Beach for dinner. This is very much a city beach: a broad expanse of sand lined by skyscrapers and restaurants and bars. Unusually it is dominated by a huge suspension bridge which seems to go from one end of the beach to the other.
When night fell the bridge was lit up. There were fireworks, old fashioned crooners and other entertainment, and thousands of people of all ages out enjoying themselves. It was lively and wholesome and wonderfully uplifting.
Show class pics!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful(if exhausting) experience I expect that you were more than ready for your meal
ReplyDeleteThanks ae01, but this was one occasion when I wished I had more than an IPhone camera to do the place justice. On the other hand, an IPhone is very easy to carry up a mountain and a handy aid to direction, translation etc...
ReplyDeleteOld Dog: the meal was very welcome but disappointing. The "family" restaurant I ended up in had some astonishing prices for very ordinary food, e.g. $25 for a side of french fries! I had just a bowl of basic creamy pasta and fled.