I attended the usual monthly Friends of Five Rivers Board meeting this evening, where there was a sad announcement. Aries, the one-winged barred owl who has been a fixture at the Five Rivers visitor centre for many years, has toppled off his perch and is no more.
According to the official notice he's "at the vets" - but the swept-out cage tells the truer tale. Centre staff are just trying to break the news gently to his loyal fans, many of whom are small children. They have loved to visit him and hear him hoot "Who cooks for yooooou?"
I'm sorry to say I don't have a photo of him - though someone else has. And we found this appreciation of him from a few years ago, which seems a suitable tribute. He was a fine ambassador for Five Rivers and will be missed.
The search is now on for a new owl, but Aries leaves a perch that will be hard to fill.
RIP
ReplyDeleteWill be missed but maybe time for Aries to go to the great aviary in the night sky