Today my Karen friends celebrated the joint birthdays of their four children (the kids' actual birthdays are spread around the year, but the parents find it more convenient to do just a single all-in-one celebration).
I took my own kids to this event last year, when we were all surprised to find that it was not so much a party as a church service with cake. I really didn't reckon on my two coming again willingly, and yet they both did, without a murmur.
As before, there were hymns, prayers and a sermon - none of which we could understand, but this time it's what we were expecting. At least one child in the room fell asleep, but it wasn't either of mine.
Then there was a three-verse version of Happy Birthday, candles were blown out and cake distributed, followed by Chinese takeaway. No gifts, games or party bags...but as far as I could see, a good time was had by all.
I guess it is what you are used to/expect...
ReplyDeleteGood for your kids to want to go and appreciate different people do things differently.