Monday, August 3, 2009

To sleep, perchance...

I laboured in the yard again this morning, pulling out more weeds and shifting earth around. The Boy was none too impressed with my exertions, as he thinks my chief function during vacations is to be available to help him find the end on rolls of sticky tape. Still, he gamely toted a couple of barrowfuls of soil for me so I'd get finished sooner.

I made an interesting discovery today. For as long as I can remember I've tended to wake up in the middle of the night, often for two or three hours at a time. I find this quite frustrating and have always regarded it as a bit of an abnormality on my part. But this morning on the radio they had an item on sleep patterns of the American Colonial era - and I fit right in! Those days, apparently, it was quite common to go to bed and have a bit of a sleep, then lie awake for a few hours (they even had a name for it - the 'watch') before sleeping some more in the morning.

I find this all quite reassuring. I may be historically out of context, but at least there's a precedent for my on-again off-again style of sleeping and that makes me feel so much better about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment