Saturday, February 11, 2012

Hazardous Huyck


The Boy was out with his buddy today, and the Girl quickly managed to make her own social arrangements when we threatened her with a hike.  So it was just the Man and me taking a wintery stroll at the Huyck Preserve this afternoon.

For yes!  We found us some winter!  There had been a little snow earlier, which gave everything a fresh white look.  The lake was frozen solid enough for hockey (no, not us playing - but we enjoyed watching a group knocking a puck around out on the ice). 

However, to get as far as the lake we had to negotiate some dangerous trails.  We've seen the Huyck snowier, but never as icy.  Due, I suppose, to recent melting and re-freezing, the paths were slick with the stuff.  The Man fell once, but I was down at least six times. To be honest, it wasn't so much a stroll as a slither, most of the way.  I enjoyed being out, but was relieved to make it back to the car with nothing worse than bruises.

1 comment: