We've been back in the States since, hm let's see, Sunday evening. We being me, C & J (now respectively a young woman and a young man, so no more Girl and Boy, I think).We spent the first night in Boston, and drove to Albany the next day. The only thing to note about the journey is that Massachusetts has completely gone over to cashless tolls, so there was no queuing for tollbooths, we just drove under a gantry of gadgets which read the E-Z Pass we'd hired with the car - helpful for speed of travel and preventing air pollution, so thumbs up for that.
J had plans with friends. We dropped him in our old suburb and he was off, with barely a "Can I have some cash before you leave...?" C and I went on to our friends' house and settled in to an evening of catching up and cookie-baking.

Tuesday: mostly a day of old haunts and more old friends. Lunch at Panera, where the portions seemed much smaller than I remembered - possibly for the first time ever in America I looked at my plate and thought "That's not very much food". A visit to my favourite public library, tranquil and perfect as ever. I lost C, regained J and joined J's old Buddy and family for dinner in an Irish bar, chased down with treats from Jim's Tastee-Freez.
Great to see the blog back.
ReplyDeleteIt always seemed strange to me to be pushing books through the "Returns" hole where they were received and sorted by taciturn, anonymous hands. More British than American.
Hello! I hope you all have a wonderful visit - you make it back to those old haunts more than we do!
ReplyDelete