Thursday, August 30, 2007

Passion nuts


I don't have much voice left, mainly because the Boy borrowed his own weight in Thomas the Tank Engine stories from the library yesterday and we've been steadily ploughing through them today. Meanwhile the Girl has been getting on with her own reading.

The weather forecaster this morning suggested a possiblity of rain, without explaining that what he really meant was likelihood of drowning, if you didn't get electrocuted by lightning first. It hasn't been like that all day mind you, I mean we're not in England.

It was good meeting other parents at the school picnic yesterday. Everyone we spoke to was very welcoming and encouraging, and they all possessed that easygoing American confidence which is somehow infectious so that you come away feeling rather easygoing and confident yourself. This way of interacting is already having an effect on the children. The Boy from the start has cheerfully been giving high fives to waiters who greet him with 'What's up, li'l guy?', but even the sometimes reticent Girl has been happily chatting with new people.

Oh, but it's a passionate nation, too. We are informally assembling a growing collection of comestibles produced by passionate manufacturers. Whatever you produce - apple juice/yoghurt/grated cheese... - it is de rigeur to declare your passion for it on the packaging. Even the well-known brand of painkiller that I'm about to take for my sore throat is, according to an interminable TV ad, produced by people passionate about making ibuprofen. How reassuring! I feel slightly better already.

No comments:

Post a Comment