I've just come back from my first attempt at driving on an Interstate (motorway). At night. I'm a bit stressed out. But at least we're all home in one piece, even if we did do one or two unscheduled detours.
Earlier in the bright sunshiny day I took the children on a little trip out to Altamont, about a half-hour drive away along less intimidating roads. It's one of those picture perfect New England villages - white wooden church, people sitting on their porches knitting. The sort of place adjectives like 'charming' and 'delightful' were invented for. We had a snack at the Hungerford Stores, which is the cafe Linton could have had if we'd all clubbed together last year and bought Sweet Talk News. Lovely. There was a speciality wool shop (I'm not much of a knitter, but I like a nice ball of wool). There was even a train station, alas disused (the Boy was disappointed) but about to be turned into a Library (the Girl approved). Sorry there are no photos - our camera has broken.
To continue the motoring theme, sort of, we spent the rest of the day at home driving each other crazy. Even the kids are looking forward to school starting next week.
I have a bit of a cold, probably picked up at the Thomas show. The price we pay for air-conditioning is eternal snuffling (not to mention global warming).
No comments:
Post a Comment